Holbeach Hurn

Welcome To Holbeach Hurn

 

Days Gone By

Holbeach Hurn

Holbeach Hurn is a charming rural village in South Lincolnshire, 4 miles northeast of the town of Holbeach. Within the village is the Church of St Luke’s, a Public House, The Rose & Crown and the village hall, formally the village school. The village has remained largely unchanged over the years being off the beaten track but easily accessed from the A17 1½ miles away. 

The village of Holbeach Hurn developed along the sea bank of Roman or Saxon times, the Commercial Directory of 1849 shows, a Butcher, two Shopkeepers, a baker, two Publicans, three farmers, a Horse breaker and two Blacksmiths, so it would seem that at this time the village was a thriving community.

“A Brief History of Holbeach Hurn” by Elizabeth Barrett published in 1977, shows that Holbeach Hurn still retained a strong community spirit. In 1976 the village came third in the Lincolnshire best kept village competition, with the Village Hall coming second in the smaller village Hall competition.

The foundation stone of St Luke’s Church was laid in August 1869 and the Church was consecrated on 23rd November 1869, the Chancel and Burial Ground were consecrated in March 1871. It was built on land gifted by The Revered A Brooks and cost £697, this was collected by Landowners and residents in the area, a population then of 526.

St Luke’s Church School was built in 1872 and was an all age Primary School; in 1947 it became a Junior School with 43 children attending. In 1967 came the decision to close the school permanently.

The building remained empty until 1976 when the school was leased from the Diocese of Lincoln and became the Village Hall.The Village Hall has over the years played an active role in Village Life hosting a number of groups and actives for villagers to take part in and socialise.  See the Village Hall Page for more information.

The Village Playing Fields are on land that was gifted to the village in 1950 by local residents and is held in trust for the village. In 2003 the committee applied for funding to improve the playing fields, this application was successful and in 2004 the playing fields were equipped with a new Adventure Trail and Toddlers play equipment.

Web Site Design and Hosting by WebAspect.Net